close
close

US sprinter Noah Lyles will NOT run the 4x400m at the World Relays as he claims people “were threatened with fires” amid backlash to his selection.

By David Coverdale in Nassau, Bahamas

00:11 May 4, 2024, updated 00:44 May 4, 2024

  • Lyles got his first chance in the 4x400m at the World Indoor Championships in March.
  • The selection of the 26-year-old player was highly criticized, even by his teammates
  • DailyMail.com provides the latest international sports news.



Noah Lyles will not compete in the 4×400 meters at this weekend’s World Relays after revealing that people were “threatened with fire” when he ran at the World Indoors.

The American sprint star has set her sights on winning four gold medals at the Paris Olympics by adding the 4x400m relay to her program, along with the three events she won at last year’s World Championships: 100m, 200m and 4x100m.

Lyles got his first shot at the 4x400m at the World Indoor Championships in Glasgow in March, when he ran the third leg in which the United States took silver behind Belgium.

But the 26-year-old’s selection was widely criticized, with his own teammate Fred Kerley, the 2022 world 100m champion, accusing US Track and Field of favoritism and acting as “puppets.”

Despite such uproar, Lyles insists he will remain eligible for selection in the 4x400m in Paris.

Noah Lyles will not compete in the 4×400 meters at this weekend’s World Relays
Teammate Fred Kerley, the 2022 world 100m champion, criticized Lyles’ selection in March.

However, he opted not to participate in the World Relays here in Nassau, where teams compete to qualify for the Olympic Games.

“Unfortunately, no, I won’t direct it,” Lyles said. ‘It caused a lot of controversy to see someone run the 60 meters and then move on to the 4×400 meters.

‘Some people were reported, others were threatened with fires. A lot of people in America were very, very, very upset that I was driving the 4×4.

“I can’t give all the details, but there were coaches who trained athletes who were in the 4×4 and couldn’t run and were upset about it.

‘They complained to superiors about the decision. The superiors decided to act.

‘Whether this will happen again, I don’t know. Are they going to make new rule changes? I don’t know.

“But the way the rules are set up now is that anyone who is actually on the team can be on the relay.”

‘I’m going to continue doing what I do. It is the relay coach’s decision. I’m going to tell them the same thing: “If you want to use me, I’m here, if not, that’s fine.” I’m not going to feel hurt by it.

“I will train specifically for the 100 and 200 meters and I will be as strong as possible in the 400. I am in the best shape I have ever been in my life.”

The world relays begin on Saturday night, with Great Britain among the nations seeking to secure their place at the Olympic Games in the men’s and women’s 4x100m and 4x400m relays, as well as the mixed 4x400m.

Lyles has opted out of participating in the World Relays as the teams look to qualify for the Olympics.
But Lyles insists he will remain eligible for selection in the 4x400m in Paris.

In total, 14 of the 16 Olympic places in each event will be decided here and teams will guarantee their place in Paris if they finish in the top two of their heat on Saturday.

Marcell Jacobs, the former Italian long jumper who shocked the world by winning gold in the 100 meters at the Tokyo Olympics three years ago, is among the big names in action this weekend.

When asked about the pressure of trying to defend his title in Paris, the 29-year-old said: “I don’t think it’s a pressure. It’s a big motivation to get there and win again.

‘I know it’s not easy. But I will do everything I can to get there and win the gold medal again.”