close
close

26-year-old man jailed at Cork court for threatening to post intimate images of his ex-partner online

A 26-year-old man was sentenced to a year in prison for threatening to publish intimate images of his ex-partner on the Internet.

Judge Jonathan Dunphy handed the defendant a two-and-a-half year sentence, with the final 18 months suspended at Cork Circuit Criminal Court.

He was prosecuted by Detective Garda David O’Shea under the Harassment, Harmful Communications and Related Offenses Act 2020 on a charge dating back to February 18, 2021, in which he threatened to distribute or publish intimate images of your ex-partner without your consent with the intention. of causing harm or being reckless as to whether harm was caused.

The law prevents the publication of any details that would identify the complainant in such a case, so it is not possible to name the accused in this case, with whom the complainant had been in a relationship for several years.

She prepared a victim impact statement which was read on her behalf by the detective. Garda O’Shea. She concluded this statement by saying that not only did she not feel able to read the statement in person in court, but she did not want to be in the same room as the defendant.

In her statement, she said that when the relationship ended he continued to contact her so she blocked him on social media.

“But he contacted family and friends threatening to contact me.

“When I didn’t, he started emailing me and said, ‘If you don’t respond, you know what’s going to happen,’ and he put a camera emoji.

“I panicked and begged him not to post photos. She said it was her phone and she could do whatever she wanted.” The young woman said that she began to have suicidal tendencies and due to mental health problems she began taking antidepressants. She said that prior to her relationship with the defendant she never had any mental health problems. Now, more than three years later, she is still reluctant to get into a relationship with anyone.

Lead defense attorney Ray Boland said the defendant was in a more stable stage of his life than ever and had a full-time job and there was testimony in court on the defendant’s behalf.

Judge Dunphy said: “He is very apologetic, saying he would never have published the images, but the injured party should never have known that.

“At the time of the crime he was abusing drink and drugs. And he doesn’t do it anymore. She clearly has an anger problem. He says he is willing to receive treatment and counseling.

“The way he treated the injured party is nothing short of criminal and immature and he is considered to be at a moderate risk of reoffending.” The judge expressed some concern about the probation officer’s findings that during some of the defendant’s meetings with the service, the youth appeared angry and resentful.

After serving the year in custody, the accused must attend counseling and remain under the supervision of the probation service.

Judge Dunphy also ordered him not to have any direct or indirect contact with the injured party for the next ten years.