close
close

Military Court Martial Two Soldiers Over Accidental Kaduna Bomb Attack

The Defense Headquarters said on Thursday that two servicemen will face court-martial over the December 3, 2023 accidental bombing of Tudun Biri village in Kaduna State.

The Director of Defense Media Operations, Major General Edward Buba, disclosed this during a press conference at the Defense Headquarters in Abuja on Thursday.

Buba said the investigation launched into the incident had concluded with two staff members charged.

The accidental bombing killed at least 85 civilians and injured several.

The villagers were said to be celebrating Maulud, an Islamic festival, when the incident occurred with the army quickly due to the accidental shelling describing it as very unfortunate.

President Bola Tinubu ordered an investigation into the incident, while the military promised that any personnel found guilty would be punished.

On December 8, DHQ set up an eight-member panel to launch an investigation into the incident.

Buba said The punch in January that the panel was made up of senior officials from the country’s geopolitical zones.

Giving an update at Thursday’s press conference in Abuja, the DHQ spokesperson said: “I want to speak briefly about the incident in Tudun Biri village in Kaduna State as the investigation has been concluded.

“The military conducted a thorough investigation into the accidental drone attack and has initiated disciplinary action against the accused troops.

“Consequently, the affected personnel will face a court-martial for acts of omission or commission with respect to the incident.”

Buba said the investigation report had been submitted to the relevant authorities, but declined to provide further details.

“However, I am forced to speak at length about the incident as it would be considered prejudicial if it were a court-martial case.

“However, it must be made clear that the incident was a mistake, as the victims of the attack were mistaken for terrorists.

“It is hoped that attacks against non-combatants will not be repeated in ongoing operations. The military will take additional precautions in the future to ensure non-combatants are safe,” he added.